Sunday, May 4, 2008

Kayaking in La Iya

It was almost four years before I had the guts to paddle out again. The last time I went on a single kayak was in New Zealand and I nearly drowned when the kayak went belly up as I struggled through the reeds. Totoo pala yung sinasabi nila na sisipunin ka if you stayed too long underwater. Medyo mahal ang cold tablets so I stayed out of kayaking for a while.
Kidding aside, the call of the water is one thing I know I cannot ignore foreover. So, when Daisy urged me to go kayaking out to sea, I had to swallow my apprehensions and paddle out. It was my first time to go kayaking with a partner and it was both our first. Ang saya!
It took us almost 15 minutes to get out from the shore trying our best not to hit and paddle the hapless heads of unsuspecting 'swimmers' and kill them instantly. Bakit naman kasi ang hihilig ng mga Pinoy na maligo sa gilid ng shoreline ?!? Ang lawak-lawak naman ng dagat, nagsisiksikan sila dun sa gilid. Hayy!
Daisy and I realized that we will end up kayaking onshore and look like complete morons if we do not synchonize our movements. We decided that I paddle on right and she paddles on left on every other count and we gradually went out to sea. One could imagine our sighs of relief and the jubilant cheers of our friends na kanina inip na inip sa kapapanood sa amin : )
Once we got the rhythm, everything went on smoothly. We paddled out till our arms hurt. We went past the fishing boats and only stopped till we realized that the water underneath was already deep blue. Daisy still wanted to paddle out, ala lang just to see hanggang saan kaya namin, but I told her that we should rest already just in case we reach China and we did not bring our passports.
We stopped at midpoint and just enjoyed the lull of the waves with the breath of the morning sunshine on our faces. It was the most relaxing experience I had in a long time and if not for Daisy complaining that her limbs were numb from my weight, we could have stayed there for much longer.

No comments: